The 13 frame styles pay homage to a specific turtle or tortoise species
GlassesUSA.com, in partnership with The American Tortoise Rescue announced new styles of tortoiseshell frames in honor of World Turtle Day 2023. The company also announced that up to 10 percent of the proceeds from the sale of these frames will be donated to the California-based rescue. The collection can be seen at the link here.
The 13 frame styles pay homage to a specific turtle or tortoise species. They share the same name as the tortoise they are associated with and take design cues from these reptiles and translate them to the frames. The frames are made of 100 percent plant-based acetate and can be ordered as prescription eyeglasses or sunglasses.
The eyeglass frame name and their respective turtle or tortoise are listed below.
- The Western Pond frame, just as the shell of the turtle itself, is lower and broader in shape, with extending end pieces that represent the tortoise’s prominent head and tail.
- The Mata Mata frame, like its turtle counterpart, has a very striking look. In addition to its standout color, the noticeable laminated edges depict its triangular, flattened head.
- The African Sideneck is a round frame with a smooth, block color finish, illustrating the turtle’s same characteristics and body shape. The transparent arms are a nod to the light color of its distinctive face.
- The Volcan Darwin Giant has a specific character of its own. Its dark green top and brown patterned bottom shares a wonderful likeness to the tortoise with its dark green shell and patterned under body.
- The Egyptian is a delicate, half frame, representing this famously small tortoise. While the arms are brightly patterned, the frame itself has black upper rims, to honor the dark, clearly marked chevrons on its scales.
- The Bolson frame is one of the more unique in the collection. More oval and flat, akin to this giant tortoise, with the same ashy, matte finish as the tortoise’s shell.
- The Parrot Beaked frame has what can only be described as adorable red nose pads that perfectly celebrate the noses of the dominant males that become bright red or orange during breeding season.
- The Greek frame is green in color, and similar to the tortoise’s shell and lower body, the upper half is domed where the lower half is more square.
- The Box, as its name suggests, is an oversized square frame. These sunglasses lenses are red tinted to illustrate the turtle’s signature red eyes.
- The Geometric boasts a sleek, angular shape, and a strong black and yellow appearance like the distinguished tortoise shell. This particular frame has the collection’s signature engraving on the outer temple, highlighting the eye-catching scales on the tortoise’s legs.
- The Angonoka frame, when turned upside down, mimics the highly domed, oval shape of this impressive tortoise.
- The Leopard frame conveys the attractively marked pattern in this tortoise’s uniform yellow and brown colors. The oval ridges of this unique frame shape perfectly model the shape of the tortoise shell.
- The Santiago Giant, another oversized frame doing justice to this large tortoise, and displays the beautifully chic gray tones that ensure the same stand-out look of its tortoise doppelganger.
For more information, visit GlassesUSA.com