45-Year-Old Tortoise Sets House On Fire On Christmas, Is Rescued

HomeBig BoxesMore Reptile Reading

45-Year-Old Tortoise Sets House On Fire On Christmas, Is Rescued

The tortoise knocked over a heat lamp, which caused a fire.

Aussie Researchers Receive $400,000 Grant To Help Save Pygmy Blue-Tongued lizard
Sea Turtle Found In Thailand With Stomach Full Of Plastic Dies
Kingdom Of Qatar Commissions Lizard Study

A 45-year-old tortoise inadvertently set his owner’s house on fire when he knocked a heat lamp which then caught his bedding on fire.


Advertisement

This tortoise knocked over his heat lamp, which caused a fire in his home.

Essex fire service

This tortoise was saved after he knocked over a heat lamp, which caused a fire.
 

"This incident shows just how important it is to have smoke alarms on every level of your home – even if you're not home they will alert anyone close by to the first sign of fire,” Gary Wain, watch manager of the Great Dunmow Fire Station in Essex, England wrote on the station’s Twitter page. "This tortoise has had a very lucky Christmas Day – he is 45 years young and will now hopefully continue to live a long and happy life thanks to working smoke alarms."


Russian Tortoise Care Sheet

Advertisement

After the fire was put out, firefighters found the tortoise amongst its burnt bedding and apparently found the reptile’s heat lamp caused the fire.