The Serpentarium In Lodi And Elk Grove, California

HomeNews RSS FeedSnake Information & News

The Serpentarium In Lodi And Elk Grove, California

Ninety percent of store's 3,000 square feet is dedicated to reptiles.

More Than 300 Herps Taken in Calgary, Canada Seizure
Brazilian Treefrog Named After Mythical Beast Of Amazon Described
Devil Frog Had Spiked Armor Possibly To Keep Dinosaurs At Bay

Established in 1989, owners Robert and Marcy Coral have created a place where people could learn about and interact with reptiles from around the world, before taking one home as a pet. It is of no surprise that their Living Reptile Museum of herps and invertebrates has grown to be pretty popular in the town of Lodi, Calif. And why not? Where else could you see large monitors, anacondas, Burmese pythons, rainbow boas, false water cobras, turtles, tortoises, frogs, geckos, tarantulas and scorpions all in the same spot? In most cases, you would probably need to head to a herp expo to see that kind of variety. But at the Coral’s store, you can find it all in one two-story building.

Serpentarium


Advertisement

Approximately 90 percent of the store's 3,000 square feet is dedicated to reptiles

 

Of the store’s 3,000 square feet, 90 percent of it is dedicated to reptiles. The other 10 percent is filled with invertebrates and any supplies you might need to care for your pet of choice. They also have another location that will be opening soon in Elk Grove, Calif.

Although the store is staffed with knowledgeable people, who are enthusiastic about the animals they sell, one of the big draws of this place is its interactive approach. The Corals regularly host in-store birthday parties, where they offer guided tours of the museum. They let guests hold and take pictures with various critters, in addition to watching them feed. Ever see a big monitor jump into a pond for its meal? You can here. And if you want to have a reptile party at your house, you can do that too. Classrooms are also welcome, and the store happens to be one of the most popular destinations for field trips.

A breeder of more than 50 snake species alone, Robert Coral is thrilled to be a part of the industry. “The best part of my job is being able to do what I love and share my passion with the world,” he said. To those who wish to follow in his footsteps, he urges them to “follow your heart and not dollar signs. All too often, newcomers get sucked into the get-rich-quick mentality, and they think they are going to be the next big breeder. Ambition is great, but if your motive is fueled purely by money, you’ll eventually lose interest. Do it because you love it, and you won’t be disappointed.”  REPTILES

Advertisement

Robert Coral breeds a large variety of snakes as well as other reptiles. Some of these include:

  • False water cobras (Hydrodynastes gigas)
  • Yellow anacondas (Eunectes notaeus)
  • Green tree pythons (Morelia viridis)
  • Burmese pythons (Python molurus bivittatus)
  • Ball pythons (Python regius)
  • Argus monitors (Varanus panoptes)
  • Woma pythons (Aspidites ramsayi)
  • Reticulated pythons (Python reticulatus)
  • Corn snakes (Elaphe guttata)
  • Various kingsnakes (Lampropeltis spp.)

The Serpentarium
2379 Maggio Circle, Unit C
Lodi, CA 95240
209-369-7737
snakemuseum.com

9160 E. Stockton Blvd.,
Ste. 100
Elk Grove,
CA 95624